  From: Tony Moss
  To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
  Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:35 AM
  Subject: Re: longitude correction

  On 09/02/2011 21:49, Donald Christensen wrote:
    How do I design a longitude correction in my sundial?

    Correct me if I'm wrong

    My horizontal dial is for Brisbane. The longitude is 153 deg and the
standard meridian is 150. This is a 3 deg difference.

    I'll then rotate the hour lines by 3 deg to compensate

    --
    Cheers
    Donald

    This e-mail is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete the message and notify the sender. Un-authorized use of
this email is subject to penalty of law.
    So there!

Hi Donald,
                  With any horizontal dial, if you are a whole number of
degrees to the East or West of your reference meridian, the gnomon remains
pointing true north and the hour/minute line divisions are unchanged: you
simply move the *numerals* around by the amount of the longitudinal correction
and choose the corresponding divisions to be your hours, halves and quarters.

  Myself I prefer the symmetry of an uncorrected layout with the longitudinal
correction incorporated in the Equation of Time table or graph.  In the latter
case you simply move the graph plot up or down from the zero line by the amount
of the LC.  This is also easier when the LC isn't a whole number of degrees.

  I'll leave you to work it out which way you have to move the numerals in this
case.

  Hope this simplifies it.

  Tony Moss