On 12/03/2011 19:39, Brent wrote:
Hello again;

I hope I am not trying your patience with my endless questions.

Today I am thinking about all of the mistakes that I have made in my thinking about sundial designs. The motions between the sun and earth are more complicated than I first thought.

I wonder if lots of people make sundial mistakes?
I wonder if there are lots of sundials around that contain mistakes?
I wonder if there are any famous sundial blunders?

thanks again;
brent

Hi Brent,
I have before me a picture of a gorgeous London made dial from the 1700s which must have taken weeks to engrave with WSW in place of ESE in the compass rose. I'd have liked to be a 'fly on the wall' when he/she discovered the mistake.

Some years ago I made a dial for an American friend with roman numerals running VIII, IX, X, IX, XII. He had an enlarged version of the artwork on his office wall for several weeks without spotting the error but did so *just after I had etched the plate!*. I offered to do a 'palimpsest' on the reverse side but the original was retained as a novelty. The same plate was displayed at a NASS conference where we had secretly agreed a special prize for anyone who noticed the error but nobody did so.

"The person who 'never made a mistake probably never made anything!"

Tony Moss