Brad,
Many thanks for your prompt response. Yes, as you found, my old shipmate will now easily calculate the day on which the sun's upper limb was just not visible in April 1911, taking into account refraction and semi-diameter. Scott's Hut is at 77deg. 38'S, 166deg. 24'E. Scott's party kept time as GMT + 12 hours.

My shipmate and I were together in 1945 and I discovered him, now a retired captain, living locally, 55 years later. He retains a keen interest in astronomy.
Frank