Hello Brent and all,
Wave height and strength depends on the strength and duration of a generating wind and on the fetch, or uninterrupted distance before the waves spread to reach the observer. In the Southern Ocean and the American west coast all of these, especially fetch, are large. If you look at a world atlas you will see that around the Philippines etc. fetch is relatively small and tropical winds generally do not compare with the Roaring Forties. Waves from the Roaring Forties reach New Zealand and, as swell, sometimes even reach the British coast, great for surfing.
Frank 55N 1W