Just to give some additional background - that probably added to the urban myth
about the 'flow' of glass.

Anyone who cuts glass with a dry diamond (which my wife - a picture framer -
does on a daily basis) knows that - having made the scratch - the glass will
break easily by flexing the glass along the scratch - provided that one does
not wait around too long. The reason given for this - contrary to all the heavy
scientific evidence already provided - is that the diamond makes a perfect
V-shaped scratch. But in a relatively short time - and at a molecular level -
the glass rapidly anneals/flows to round-off the crisp bottom of the V. This
makes it much more likely that the glass will not crack along scratch. My wife
scores the glass and immediately flexes it : it parts perfectly every time. A
thing I cannot emulate myself….

To get around this problem, many less handy glass cutters prefer to use a wet
diamond cutter. These cutters have a little reservoir of kerosene that wets the
scratch made by the diamond which slows the degradation of the V, and allows
more time to make the break. Wet diamond cutters are supposed to last longer
than dry ones. But, in the picture framing business, one does not wish to have
the extra stage of cleaning kerosene smears off the glass,  as well as the
usual fluff/insect stains/finger prints.

(Interesting how this gnomonic list gets off topic - but long may it continue.)

Best regards
Kevin Karney
Freedom Cottage, Llandogo, Monmouth NP25 4TP, Wales, UK
51° 44' N 2° 41' W Zone 0
+ 44 1594 530 595