Is it correct that the “Earth turns 366.25 times a year”. I thought that the
earth turns 365.25 and we get the extra day because Earth spins around the sun
once every year. Am I correct? If the Earth didn’t rotate but went around the
sun then that would give you one day without the Earth even rotating.

Roderick Wall.

Had to think of that for a while! I think the number of days equals the number
of rotations minus one.

So 366.25 rotations = 365.25 days

If the Earth always kept the same face to the sun, it would rotate once, but
there would be no days, so one rotation = no days

If the Earth does not rotate at all, there would be one day, but it would be a
negative one; ie with the sun rising in the west – which it would – just think
of the sky at night if the Earth didn’t rotate – the sun would rise in the west
as it moved along the ecliptic...

* David Widdowson, ASTROVISUALS,   *

* 6 Lind St, Strathmore, 3041, AUSTRALIA

* Ph/fax: 61- (0)3 - 9379 5753     *

EMAIL: mailto:m...@astrovisuals.com.au

WEB: http://www.astrovisuals.com.au/