Donald,

If it is only your intention to use a sundial to find the north, it suffices to combine two dials, a pole style sundial and a analemmatic sundial.
Direct that combination so that both sundials show the same time.
Than they stand directed to the north.
See drawing.

Willy Leenders
Hasselt in Flanders (Belgium)

Visit my website about the sundials in the province of Limburg (Flanders) with a section 'worth knowing about sundials' (mostly in Dutch): http://www.wijzerweb.be

Op 14-okt-2011, om 12:55 heeft Donald Christensen het volgende geschreven:

Thank you for your reply. I'm also glad to hear from somebody that indicates that it can be done.

However, I don't understand your reply. Why do I take out the longitude correction?

A sundial without longitude correction need to factor in both EOT and longitude in order to read it in clock time. A sundial with longitude correction in it only needs to worry about the EOT. I'm going to make a sundial without longitude correction but I will add longitude correction in my spreadsheet. I'll then see if I get the same results.

I understand that it is much more complicated than 2+3=5 Therefore 5-2=3. I'm not trying to be patronizing and I appologize if I offend someone but I don't understand why I can't go backwards as well.

I read my solar compass on April 16 and again on Sept 2 when EOT didn't need to be factored in. My compass worked. Mind you, I didn't take readings throughout the day. (It didn't occur to me that I should) I just noticed that it agreed with another method that I used to find north.

Attached is the spreadsheet saved as Excel 97