The 'river' of knowledge from the ancient world to medieval Europe flowed,
in large part, through the Islamic world, which had appropriated much of
the ancient learning. However, not all ancient learning arrived in the West
in this way. For example, the important Archimedean treatises* On the
Sphere and Cylinder *and *On the Measurement of the Circle*, were first
introduced to the West through Latin translations from Arabic. But, such
important Archimedean treatises as *On Spiral Lines, Quadrature of the
Parabola*, and *On Conoids and Spheroids *were unknown in Arabic and became
known to the West through Latin translations from the Greek by the Flemish
Dominican  William of Moerbecke in the latter half of the 13th century.
-Len Berggren

J. L. Berggren
Professor Emeritus
Department of Mathematics