Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:02 AM
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: Sundials and tower clocks

Dear Diallists

It is daid that in some point in history sundials co-existed with clocks. We
even say those sundials were used to set the right time on clocks and
personal watches. Do we have any iconographic evidence for that? There is of
course that famous drawing from Bedos de Celles (attached - Scan0237.jpg) of
a group of gentlemen setting their watches by a vertical noon dial. But I
would particularly like to find some examples of setting tower clocks. In a
book about time in general available in Poland (Ludwik Zajdler - Dzieje
zegara) there is this drawing said to be of Flemish source (attached -
Scan0236.jpg) depicting a clock master adjusting a tower clock according to
sundial readings. Does anyone know the exact source of this one, please? Are
there any other known examples?

In Europe we have many cases of public buildings having both a sundial and a
tower clock. However it seems most unlikely that these sundials were used
for setting the clocks - usually one could not see them from the clock
mechanism spot and reading it and adjusting would require two men and a
walkie-talkie :). I would rather say there had to be another, pehaps much
smaller sundial (portable?) for use of a clock master. These grand sundials
were used more as an alternative for clocks in case of some kind of
mulfunction. Any comments would be most welcome. Thank you.

--
Best regards
Darek Oczki

GNOMONIKA.pl