Never heard of a Beam and Spar Sundial. Do you have a picture and descriptio.

Tom Laidlaw

-----Original Message----- From: Mac Oglesby
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:35 PM
To: Kevin Karney
Cc: Sundial List
Subject: Re: Why are schools, across the world, 'banning' analemmaticsundials ?

Hi Kevin,

Just to set the record straight, the original
"Beam & Spar" dial was designed and constructed
by Bill Maddux. He was one of my early mentors
and later we collaborated (along with Fer de
Vries) on several sundial articles. Bill passed
away in 2004. In his memory, at the NASS 2007
conference in McLean, Virginia I led a brief
workshop where each participant assembled a small
Beam & Spar sundial designed specifically for
their home latitude.

Best wishes,

Mac Oglesby

Martina
Gian is quite right. But one must tryŠ So you need a strategy to overcome the stupidity. Why not recommend to your school the superb Mac Oglesby Beam & Spar dial (equiangular - so correctable for summer time and EoT!). This is designed for boy scouts/girl guides and involves ropes (children will hang themselves) and tree climbing (broken legs guaranteed) and - dare I say it - knives (child murder inevitable). So that is bound to be refused. Now you suggest a gentle analemmatic in its place and the authorities will melt with happiness at its simplicity and safety.

Or fight the dead hand of bureaucratic idiocy with its own kind. Do a full risk assessment of all potential dangers and provide the strategy required to overcome each risk. (Sun hats against the sun Š. non-poisonous paints Š pre-cut lengths of string Š old fashioned supervision of rowdy children Š a tool-box talk etc etc).

My heart goes out to you and I hope you show copies of this e-mail thread to your head teacher and point out that there are very few things in the current overcrowd curriculum that can gently and cheaply draw together the diverse threads of art, history, astronomy, geography, geometry and maths as sundials in the playground. And they get the children out of the unhealthy atmosphere of the class room into the great outside.

Good luck  - you have my full support
Kevin Karney