Dear Reinhold,

Thank you for sharing that link
http://www.cadrans-solaires.fr/cadrans-Londres-saint-margareth.html
<http://www.cadrans-solaires.fr/cadrans-Londres-saint-margareth.html>
and that picture of the fine St Margaret's, Westminster sundials.

I believe they were designed by Chris Daniel and made by Brookbrae but
am open to correction.

Something about them which has always caused me to wonder is the absence
of hours from about 6 to 8 a.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. on the North dial, which
only shows hours before 6 a.m. and after 6 p.m. - not the whole time the
Sun is to the North at midsummer. I can think of at least two possible
reasons:

-          firstly, having the gnomon planted as it is in the ring, and
near the edge, would make the space for them insignificantly small.

-          secondly, the projecting corner turrets of the church tower
probably shade the dial until the Sun is some way North of due East or
due West.

The North gnomon could have been designed differently but would then be
less like an inverted version of the South gnomon and this would reduce
the overall symmetry.

Of course, having also East and West dials means there is no shortage of
somewhere to read the time during these hours. Can anyone comment on
this?

Regards

Andrew James

Secure Meters (UK) Ltd. is a registered company in England: 2199653
Secure House, Moorside Road, Winchester, SO23 7RX

This correspondence is confidential and solely for the intended recipient(s).
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy,
distribute or retain this message or any part of it. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete this correspondence from your system and
notify the sender immediately.