Excellent idea!  I'll suggest that we head to Durham!  Thanks!

From: Frank Evans [mailto:frankev...@zooplankton.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:26 AM
To: Schechner, Sara
Subject: Re: Sundials worthy of a tour in England

Dear Sara,
You are following the usual visitor route in England, i.e. only calling at the
bottom half. There are no Roman dials in England and the two oldest are
Anglo-Saxon dials in the north. One, the Anglo-Saxon dial at Escomb, County
Durham, (BSS Register 4752) from around 700, is an absolute gem in a gem of an
entirely Anglo-Saxon church. In the same county is Durham Cathedral with its
noon line (BSS Register 0825) for regulating the church clocks. The cathedral
is another knock-out, claimed to be the finest Romanesque building in the
world, on a spectacular headland and defended by its own castle.

You should consider this, and there are plenty more dials of interest locally
including several more Anglo-Saxon ones. Also, of course, this part of the
world is stuffed with history, the original home of railways, turbines,
electric light  and Hadrian's Wall, also Georgian town centres and more castles
than the Rhine, not to mention the odd Broadway success from tiny local
theatres ("Close the Coalhouse Door" and "The Pitmen Painters," to name a
couple).
Best,
Frank
55N, 1.5W