Greetings fellow dialists,
The topic of conservation is not much touched upon in the sundial list. I am currently interested in the conservation of a sandstone church dial. Several local church dials, some very old, have be conserved by experienced and professional stonemasons but they have used cement for pointing and so on.

Recently a stonemason told me that this was wrong and that for stonework lime mortar should be used. Lime mortar has been in use since at least Roman times and yet it is only now that I have been told that it is more suitable than cement for stone repair. Can anyone say how long this information has been about and how valid is it?

A second lesser point: conservation of dials on English parish churches seems to be undertaken by stonemasons who live many miles away while competent local stonemasons are overlooked. Is there some kind of ecclesiastical list of acceptable people who get the work?
Frank
55N 1.5W