Hi Douglas,

I realise your question about the wind was a "for discussion" type question,
but it seems to imply a fallacy. The atmosphere and the earth are part of the
same system and rotate together, so if everything was static there would be no
friction between the atmosphere and the surface of the Earth.

However the atmosphere is a fluid and there is unequal heating between the
equator and the poles. The unequal heating causes air density and pressure
differences, and the atmosphere develops a circulation. Because the Earth is a
rotating sphere the motion of these circulations are deflected to preserve
angular momentum. The resulting pattern of atmospheric circulation becomes
quite complicated.

In the simple case of a non rotating Earth air would rise at the equator and
descend at the poles, and at the surface of the Earth there would be a pole to
equator ward return flow, that is a northerly wind in the northern hemisphere
and a southerly in the southern. This would make a single "cell" of circulation
equator to pole in both hemispheres.

However as the Earth is rotating, rather than one circulation cell, we have
three. The full hemisphere cell mentioned above reaches only to about 30°
latitude and is called the Hadley cell. The rotation of the Earth affects the
cell by deflecting the surface return flow to the west in both hemispheres.
These are the NE trades of the northern hemisphere and the SE trades of the
southern hemisphere. The other two circulation cells are the Ferrel and the
Polar cell. The Ferrel Cell runs in the opposite sense to the direct thermally
driven Hadley cell, so the surface winds run the opposite way as well, and are
deflected in the opposite way. So in the northern hemisphere in the
mid-latitudes the average/predominant wind would be a SW wind. However the
Ferrel circulation is much more complicated than this simple picture suggests,
and there are flows both north and south, though both are generally from the
west.

Cheers
Hank