From: Roger Bailey <rtbai...@telus.net>
To: Dave Bell <db...@thebells.net>; 'Kevin Nute' <kn...@uoregon.edu>;
Sent: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 5:30
Subject: Re: Visibly Moving Gnomon Shadows

I am reminded of Galileo's supposed recant, the mutter translated as "and yet
it moves". Yes it does and it can be observed in specific circumstances.

When we setting the Ottoman sundial in St Louis I sensed I could see the shadow
move as we tracked the shadow against the scale. At the NASS conference in
Tucson we observed with John Carmichael the rapid movement of the shadow using
shadow sharpeners determining the timelines under the McMath Solar Observatory.
Here we could clearly see the shadow move. A huge sundial gnomon and favourable
geometry accelerated the motion.

I expect observers of the "Sun in the Church" phenomenon on meridians in
various churches in Europe can see the sun spot move. Math? Phaff. Believe what
you see.

Regards, Roger Bailey

ps. The word for the day, "pfaff" is a slang term for wasting time, doing
nothing very productive.