Dear Sasson,

Your sundial looks pretty, but it does not seem cylindrical to me in the photo.

As for your questions concerning the preference of the Greeks and Romans to
concave spherical sundials, there are several answers:

1.     The bowl mirrored the spherical shape of the heavens, and this was
satisfying from a cosmological and philosophical standpoint.

2.     Finding time to the hour was accurate enough for public lives, and
indeed, many thought it was more of a bother to divide the day into twelve
parts.  Other cultural divisions of the day were also in use, and had names
like, the time of the cock crowing.

3.     It is a misconception to think that the Greeks and Romans strongly
preferred concave sundials.  Perhaps the most famous of Greek sundials is the
Tower of the Winds in Athens.  It has eight vertical sundials with pin gnomons.
  The most famous Roman sundial was likely the large horizontal azimuth dial in
Rome which used an Egyptian obelisk for a gnomon.  Romans also used altitude
dials, including the pillar dial.

Cheers,
Sara

Sara J. Schechner, Ph.D.
David P. Wheatland Curator of the Collection of Historical Scientific
Instruments
Department of the History of Science, Harvard University
Science Center 251c, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138