The “Ai Khanum” dial  that Rohr studied was on tour a few years ago along with
various artifacts from Afghanistan and made a stop in Washington DC, the area
where I live.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about the dial  is not so much that it is
cylindrical, but that it uses a polar orientation while being designed to tell
unequal, or  temporal. hour lines.  I believe the polar orientation is
virtually unique for ancient dials.  Normally a polar orientation would
generate equal hours, but the Ai Khanum sundial is inscribed with temporal
hours, presumably because temporal hours were what people actually used and
wanted.  The other interesting thing about the dial is that it appears to be
designed and built and oriented for the location where it was found, Ai Khanum
in Afghanistan, but the inscribed temporal hour lines were calculated for a
different latitude of approximately 23 degrees.  This poses something of a
mystery.

I did a study of this dial, which was published in the NASS compendium, and is
also at http://chezaubert.net/AiKhanum/AiKhanum.pdf.  My own study drew heavily
on Rohr’s paper, along with measurements taken from the original archeological
report.  I came to the admittedly very speculative conclusion that the 23
degree hour line layout was the result of a construction error stemming from
confusing the two triangles that could have been used to specify all the angles
needed to construct the dial.  This led to further speculation that, absent
standardized units of measure, Hellenic sundial calculation and construction
techniques were probably specified by using triangles and ratios.

Jack Aubert