UK practice distinguishes between the requirements for new buildings and
the protection of sunlight access for existing buildings.
New dwellings, or non-domestic buildings which have a particular
requirement for sunlight, are considered reasonably sunlit provided that -

   - at least one main window faces within 90 degrees of due south; and
   - the centre (on the inside face of the window wall) of at least one
   window to a main living room can receive at least 25 per cent of annual
   probable sunlight hours, including at least 5 per cent of annual probable
   sunlight hours in the winter months between 21 September and 21 March.

Note the insistence on "probable sunlight hours". This is the long-term
average of the total number of hours during a year in which direct sunlight
reaches unobstructed ground, when clouds are taken into account.

In an existing dwelling, if a living room of an existing dwelling has a
main window facing within 90 degrees of due south, and any part of a new
development subtends an angle of more than 25 degrees to the horizontal
measured from the centre of the window in a vertical section perpendicular
to the window, the sunlighting of the existing dwelling may be adversely
affected.  This will be the case if the centre of the window

   - receives less than 25 per cent of annual probable sunlight hours, or
   less than 5 per cent of annual sunlight hours between 21 September and 21
   March, and
   - receives less than 0.8 times the former sunlight hours during either
   period, and
   - has a reduction in sunlight received over the whole year greater than
   4 per cent of annual probable sunlight hours.

Protection is also required for sunlight in existing gardens or play areas.
 The centre of the space should receive at least 2 hours of sunlight on 21
March.  Alternatively at least half the area should receive at least 2
hours of sunlight on 21 March.

There is lots more small print, but these are the principal provisions.  I
hope you will share your eventual conclusions with the sundial mailing list.

John Lynes