Dear Geoff,

I share your lament...

> I thought that I understood the principles
> of the OSGB but since Keith said that it is
> not strictly based on a transverse Mercator
> projection, I am now confused again.

Well, the Ordnance Survey certainly WAS based
on a transverse Mercator projection, and had
you used the past tense ["used" not "uses"]
this would pretty much be right:

> I have long believed that OSGB uses a TM
> projection of Airy's ellipsoid with a central
> meridian of 2 degrees West...

In some ways it is a great tribute to Ordnance
Survey that they have very much kept up with
the times.  Airy's ellipsoid was, and still
is, a good fit for the UK, but it isn't even
geocentric!  These days the GRS80 ellipsoid
is used pretty much everywhere.  This is a
best-fit for the whole Earth.

What the Ordnance Survey do these days is to
use GPS and WGS84 and all those things and,
for the benefit of people who still like grid
references, provide transformation functions.

The most illuminating description I have
read is at:
  http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/docs/support/guide-coordinate-systems-great-b
ritain.pdf

You get a very good explanation about how
all national map makers are perpetually
wrestling with their own history.

I do wonder how long grid references will
survive.

It seems a long time since I spent happy
evenings staring at 1km squares.

> What should I now believe?

Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Frank