Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions, both on and off the list.

When I asked my question, I assumed there was a trivial solution that could be
simply explained. I realize now that the calculations are not straightforward.

Roger Bailey has given me an approach that I believe will work for me. I’m now
trying to understand how the math represents the spatial geometry of the
problem.

The variety of solutions I received are an indication of the broad experience
and wisdom embodied in this group. I'm always grateful for that asset.