Actually, what seems more plausible to me than the analysis in the article, is that all the E-W ponds and the alignment of the pavilions and the Taj align with the equinoxes...And, of course, N-S align with Polaris.

best wishes,

Peter

On 3/02/2015 3:47 AM, Dave Bell wrote:
Interesting!

But not too surprising, I think. Perhaps I'm reading too little into this.

Assume the grounds, with waterway and flanking pavilions were laid out N-S
and E-W and symmetrically. Then the only significant point here is that the
Summer Solstice rising and setting points are aligned when seen from that
cross path. Otherwise, *some* point on the central waterway would have to be
the perfect place to stand.

Too bad there isn't a similar point or pavilions for the Winter Solstice!

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: sundial [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On Behalf Of
kool...@dickkoolish.com
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 8:49 AM
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: Solstice alignments at the Taj Mahal

I saw the article today about some solstice alignments
at the Taj Mahal.

http://www.livescience.com/49660-taj-mahal-gardens-align-solstice-sun.html?g
oogle_editors_picks=true

----------------------
Peter Mayer
Discipline of Politics & International Studies (POLIS)
School of History & Politics
http://www.arts.adelaide.edu.au/historypolitics/
The University of Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5005
Ph : +61 8 8313 5609
Fax : +61 8 8313 3443
e-mail: peter.ma...@adelaide.edu.au
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information that may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

---