Good afternoon,

List members may be interested in this account of how some boundary-riders in Queensland kept time in the early 1900s:

"Many boundary-riders do not even possess a watch, their only timekeepers being the sun and the stars. Some judge by the shadows. I saw one who had pegs stuck in the ground, at a radius of 10ft, all round a tree. There were ten of them standing exactly one hour apart, so that the shade, lying across the first at 8 a.m., would be on the last at 5 p.m. A swagman with a watch had camped with him one Sunday, and between then they had constructed this crude sun-dial. Once when passing a camp, I asked the boundary-ride the time, and was amused at the manner in which he obtained it. Taking a small twig, he broke it into two pieces about 3in long, and, holding his left hand palm upwards, he stood one piece between the second and third fingers, and the other between the third and fourth. Then, facing due north, he held his hand straight out before him and I noticed that the shadows of the twigs were just a trifle east of a direct north and south line '"Bout, 'alf-parst twelve," he said. "

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article71523046

A boundary rider was a station employee who lived far from the homestead, and whose job it was to ride along fences to check for breaks in the wire, etc.

Of course, telling the time with the 10-foot radius circle using the shadow of a tree would be "as rough as guts" (in the Australian vernacular), but it probably made little difference to the boundary rider. However, at least some early outback Australians understood the geometry of sundials. See my description of a dial made out of galvanised iron:

Pickard, J. (1998). A 19th century vernacular horizontal sundial from outback Australia. British Sundial Society Bulletin 98(1): 26-29.

Personally, I prefer using CIA-time via my GPSs. Not as much fun, but way more accurate.

Cheers, John

John Pickard
john.pick...@bigpond.com