Dear all,

I deeply regret to inform you that Fer de Vries, honorary member of the Dutch Sundial Society, passed away on April 1, at the age of 78. The funeral service was held today privately. He suffered from a stroke two years ago, from which he only partially recovered.

He was a pivotal member of our society, which he joined right after its birth in 1978. He served as treasurer for 9 years and as secretary for another 19 years. In the meantime, he contributed some 200 articles to our Bulletin.

Many of you have known him, or at least his work, among which were important contributions to the science of gnomonics. His software ZW2000, which he freely made available to the international sundialling community, was used by many. He cooperated with many sundialists abroad. He won the first Sawyer Dialing Prize in 2000.

We lose a generous, devoted, enthousiastic and productive person and diallist.

If you would like to contact his family directly, the address for correspondence is:
Stationsweg 136
5611 BZ Eindhoven
The Netherlands

On behalf of the Dutch Sundial Society,