Dear Rudolf and Roger,

The leap second comes from the fact that the Earth's rotation rate has decreased
since the definition of the second. Currently each day is 1 millisecond longer
than 24 hours in the mean. One has to regard the Earth as a clock, which is too
slow compared to a precise clock (= UTC running in parallel to atomic time TAI).
After one day the difference in time which the two clocks display is 1 ms,
after two days 2 ms, ..., after 1000 days 1 second. This is the leap second.
UTC clocks are stopped for one second, so that after this the two clocks
(Earth = UT1 and precise clock = UTC) are showing the same time again. 1000 days
is about 3 years - currently a leap second is introduced each 3 years in the
mean.

When the mean "length of day" (LoD, one day = 24 h + LoD)) was 2 ms in 1990s,
we had a leap second each 1 1/2 years in the mean (= 500 days). Since then the
Earth rotation has speeded up due to decadal fluctuations (core-mantle coupling
in Earth). But it will decrease again due to the Moon.

After the next 100 years, LoD will be about 3 ms in the mean. Then a leap second
will be needed every 333 days. And so on. This is a quadratic function with
time,
i.e. the frequency of leap seconds increases quadratically with time. This will
be a big problem for our grandgrandgrand...children.

Best regards,
Wolfgang