See also

http://www.flowton-dials.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Davis-Harley-James-McNally-dials-Bulletin-16iii.pdf

Rob van Gent

From: sundial [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On Behalf Of Patrick Powers
Sent: vrijdag 15 april 2016 12:02
To: Dan-George Uza; Sundial mail list NEW
Subject: Re: Sundials with Greek alphabetical numerals

Hi

That’s really interesting Dan.  I do not know of any dial in Britain/Ireland
having Greek numerals for time indication.  However, I am aware of Greek being
used on something like 20+ British dials but all but one of those only use
Greek for their mottoes.  The one exception still does not use Greek time
numerals but it does apparently have the dial’s date written in Greek; or at
least it’s thought to be the date.  The dial was originally found in Paisley,
which is the largest town in Renfrewshire, in Scotland but it now resides in
England.

What is there is:

[image]

It reads:

E. K.
XH HHH ∆∆∆ IIIII

Now, we have always supposed that the letters E. K. were the makers initials
and the Greek capitals below represented the date.  However it’s not easy to
know.  If we were dealing with ancient Greek coins (!) then their dates often
started with an E (short for ΕΤΟΥΣ meaning ‘Of the Year’) but I don’t think
that applies here!  The dial’s date is thought to be 1835 but I have not found
a reference that translates what is on the dial into 1835.  Maybe this dial
uses some sort of pseudo-Greek!

Regards

Patrick