Dear Kevin,
You wrote " I would love to hear from anyone working on a similar approach. " I use the freeware Scilab <http://www.scilab.org/> to produce the spider hour lines and the month circles and the contours and holes of the dial. The graphic is exported to pdf by Scilab. All further editing is done in Adobe Illustrator. The drawings for the laser cutter and the laser engraver are dxf exports of pdf files, also produced by AI.

Best wishes
Helmut