Thank you--Yes that's the article that I quoted, and from which I got the
diagram that I posted here.

That's the article that doesn't really explain anything.

It shows a picture of a Capuchin dial (figure 1), and also a diagram of an
orthographic projection of the celestial sphere (figure 2). Its explanation
basically consists of saying that figure 2 looks like figure 1.

But, for one thing, of course it doesn't.

For one thing,

1. In figure 2, the parallel lines are parallel to the horizon. In figure
1, the parallel lines in the bottom half-circle are perpendicular to the
direction of the sun.

2. In figure 2, the small circle to the left is centered within the sun's
extreme diurnal positive and negative altitudes, at the depicted solar
declination.

...but, in figure 1, it's the circle with the parallel lines is just
centered at the middle of the page.

3. In figure 2, the sun is shown at a southern declination, something that
is  seemingly in disagreement with figure 1.

But all that is aside from the fact that the article just doesn't give an
explanation, other than its handwaving reference to the alleged similarity
of figure 1 and figure 2.

Anyway, yes, that's the article to which I was referring. So my question
is, "What would be a genuine explanation and justification for the
construction of the Capuchin and Universal Capuchin dials?

Michael Ossipoff