Willy, thanks.

I'm travelling away from home now, so can't respond in full - but your chart helps me and gives me an idea that I will combine with Gian's rule of thumb and post on the list later.

Steve

On 2017-11-08 10:10 AM, Willy Leenders wrote:
Hello Steve,

Based on your discovery and to prove that from the vernal equinox to the autumnal equinox for a certain time to sunset the sun altitude is */approximately/* equal, I made calculations and a graph showing that this is the case for 1, 2, 3 and 4 hours to sunset.

Willy Leenders
Hasselt in Flanders (Belgium)

Visit my website about the sundials in the province of Limburg (Flanders) with a section 'worth knowing about sundials' (mostly in Dutch): http://www.wijzerweb.be

Op 6-nov-2017, om 02:15 heeft Steve Lelievre het volgende geschreven:

I have been doing some calculations for an Hours To Sunset dial (that is, an Italian Hours dial with the numbering running backwards). I discovered that the maximum altitude for a given hour does not occur at the summer solstice.  I was a little surprised to discover this - not amazed, but surprised enough to make me wonder if I have done my calculations wrong.

The attached diagram is for the example case of 4 hours before sunset. I'm getting a double maximum occurring a little after the vernal equinox and a little before before the autumnal equinox. I get similarly shaped curves for others hours, with less separation between the peaks when I use higher (italian) hour numbers.

Assuming that I have in fact graphed the altitude correctly, it means is that there is a period over the summer months when the altitude for any given hour to sunset stays /approximately/ the same. In my case, at 49N, it seems that over the summer months, the solar altitude for 1 hour to sunset is approximately a little under 10 degrees, 2 hours to sunset is approximately a little under 20 degrees, and so on at a little under 10 degrees per hour, at least for the last 5 to 6 hours of the day.

In this day and age, I think we would demand greater accuracy, but have there ever been sundials or other devices that exploited this approximation?

Steve

<ejimonchepokegka.png>