--- Begin Message ---

Sent from my mobile.
-------- Original message --------From: Dennis Cowan
<dennis.co...@btinternet.com> Date: 12/07/2018  21:50  (GMT+00:00) To: 'Steve
Lelievre' <steve.lelievre.can...@gmail.com> Subject: RE: Eshaness Lighthouse
Sundial, Shetland
The sundial was placed by the Northern Lighthouse Board, who are responsible
for all Scottish lighthouses, but all the lighthouse dials were removed when
the lighthouses were automated leaving only the columns in place.  The sundials
were then sold off.  The Eshaness lighthouse was subsequently sold to a private
buyer who replaced the sundial.  The current sundial is therefore not original.
 Most well-made Scottish horizontal sundials range from 4am to 8pm, but in this
instance probably a lack of knowledge resulted in the sundial that is currently
in place. Dennis Cowanwww.sundialsofscotland.co.uk Facebook – Sundials of
Scotland From: sundial [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On Behalf Of Steve
Lelievre
Sent: 12 July 2018 20:56
To: Sundial List <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Subject: Eshaness Lighthouse Sundial, Shetland  My recent visit to Shetland
took in the recent summer solstice, allowing me to experience for myself how
Shetland's summertime sunsets are very late and sunrises are corresponding
early. Daylength at the solstice was around 19 hours, with (civil) twilight
taking up another 3½ hours or so.Here is a photo I took of a sundial at the
Eshaness Lighthouse (60.489314°N 1.627209°W). Unfortunately it's on private
property, so I couldn't get close enough to read the the little plaque. The
current lighthouse was completed in 1929 so I guess the dial may be that early
too.In Shetland the sun doesn't go anywhere near the zenith even at midsummer
so I was surprised by the height of the gnomon. It's just asking to be dinged,
but Shetlanders are good and gentle folk so there no sign of vandalism; just a
bit of rust and corrosion. I wonder why the dial spans only 12 hours? I have
seen a number of other dials that only cover 12 hours but I've never really
questioned that attribute before. Of course in this case they've stuck the dial
where the nearly building obscures the sun late in the day, so evening hours
don't really matter. That aside, surely we should expect a dial made for such a
northerly location to reflect the extreme summer daylengths? There is plenty of
open space nearby where the dial could have been sited to accept sunlight
throughout the summer evenings.To me it seems a trivial matter to design a dial
that covers the full midsummer daylength. Can anyone justify, or at least
explain, the 12 hour limit?

Steve

--- End Message ---