From: sundial [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On Behalf Of Frank King
Sent: Thursday, 3 January, 2019 12:49 PM
To: Sundial List <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Subject: Re: Gnomon Gap Puzzle

Dear All,

I have a simple rule with my puzzles: wait for a reply from Geoff Thurston
and
then reveal all.  The time has come!

In the recent spate of messages, both Bill Gottesman and Steve Lelievre were

very close.  Bill is the only person to suggest an azimuthal dial with
vertical styles (which describes my design) but Steve's drawing (despite the

polar styles) is remarkably close to my design too.

The 'unusual space' is "The End-Flap of a Book" - not easy to guess!

By arranging for the top and bottom edges of the front cover to serve as
vertical gnomons, you can mark out an azimuthal dial on the end-flap.  This
way the user doesn't need to supply a gnomon, nor is there any need for any
kind of pop-out gnomon.

The sundial is shown in operation outdoors in the real sun at:

 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/fhk1/Sundials/GnomonGapDial.jpg

This shows what the design looks like.  There are many forms of azimuthal
dial
but, as one who enjoys astrolabes, I like stereographic projections.  [OK, I

do realise that my design uses the zenith as the centre of the projection
and
not the NCP!]

In terms of 'looking good', this design hardly competes with the Nuremburg
or
Harvard dials or the dials in the stunning images that Sara has just sent
us.
We can all look forward to the Adler catalogue.  Sadly, those dials look a
bit
expensive.

The link above shows the upmarket version of my design and this costs 15 GBP

but you do get a book bundled in at no extra charge!  There are lots of
pretty
pictures of sundials inside.

What about implementing the design for less than a dime?

Well, a dime is about what it costs me to print out a sheet of paper, and
all
you have to do is to print out the following:

 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/fhk1/Sundials/DoubleGapDial.jpg

This is intended for A4-paper.  You may have to trim the edges if you use
LETTER size.

This shows what is hidden on the inside back cover of the book.  That is
where
the early morning and late evening summer-time hours are found.

All you have to do is to fold along the black straight line (a valley fold
not
a ridge fold), place the S-part flat on a horizontal table, and point the S
SOUTH [some users find this a bit surprising!]. You must arrange for the
larger part to be perpendicular to the S-part.

In summer, in the early morning and late afternoon, you have to place the
larger part flat on the table; the edges of the S-part then serve as
gnomons.

This really is a working diptych sundial and they don't come any cheaper!

Sadly it is designed for my latitude +52d 12m but anyone who has read this
far
is likely to be well equipped to adapt the design for another latitude.

Adventurous readers can add the appropriate wiggles to the hour lines to
deal
with longitude offset and EoT.  Maybe it would be best to design two such
dials (one on each side of the paper), with December to June hour lines on
one
side and June to December hour lines on the other.

In the unlikely event that you might want the up-market version (with book
attached) please contact:

  Hallam Kindersley <hallam.works...@gmail.com>

Very best wishes

Frank