Hello everyone,

The English language Wikipedia page on analemmatic sundials has a photo of a strange example at the National Polytechnic Museum, Sofia. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analemmatic_sundial and scroll down to the last photo.

It's completely unlike any other analemmatic dial that I know of, so I'm struggling to understand it. Which part is the gnomon? Which part moves?  Why do the hours run counterclockwise (Sofia is northern hemisphere so presumably it was made for use there)?  Why is there a brace apparently welded to the dial face in front of the XII position? What angle is the dial face at?

So many questions!

In short, how does it work ... can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Steve