Hello Steve

An accurate sundial has many faces! The theory goes hand in hand with the
practical problems. In my experience accuracy in the end result depends very
much on the particular path you decide to follow. Each case is its own
problem and I am sure there are no perfect solutions.

I have done a number of wall sundials and many gnomons for declining and
inclining dials on faceted sundial stones. The starting point has to be
measurement of the declination of the wall. You calculate the gnomon and the
hour lines from there, as I am sure you already know. But if your wall
measurement is in error, it is the first of the errors in building your
sundial. As you point out there are other parts of the sundial you can
control like precision machining. Wall declination may be contributing your
greatest error, it is not easy to measure.

I can send you pictures if you like to show you what I mean. And I have a
device you can use to help with accurate measurement of declination, if this
interests you.

Your other question about penumbra is really a separate matter. It is more
to do with resolution or discrimination you can observe on the time
graduations of your dial rather than the accuracy of the sundial itself. In
other words the sundial can be quite inaccurate, for example badly made or
not well aligned with true north, but you are still able to observe changes
in shadow position that apparently are 1 minute apart or less. You might
describe this as bad at absolute time but good at incremental time, or not
so good as a watch but quite good as a stopwatch! Depending on your ideas
for your design of sundial any penumbra effect may not be the most
important.

Let me know if you want to follow up with any of this.

Kindest wishes

Alastair Hunter, Macmillan Hunter Sundials, Edinburgh, Scotland

=============================
What accuracy to aim for with a carefully made sundial?

Steve Lelievre steve.lelievre.can...@gmail.com via uni-koeln.de

Jul 30, 2019, 6:37 PM (2 days ago)

to Sundial

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to make a small vertical west dial, about 1m for the width
of the dial face, at my latitude of 49N. It will not use a nodus.

The angular width of the sun makes it hard to get a really accurate time
reading, but there will also be small errors from mis-positioning of the
dial plate when installing (declination and inclination), imprecise
positioning of the gnomon or the hour lines, and perhaps other causes too.

First, questions directed at those of you who have practical experience
of creating vertical sundials: If I'm careful and have a well-machined
gnomon, what level of accuracy might be achievable in practice? I assume
+/- 5 minutes throughout the day and year is fairly easy to achieve, but
what about +/- 2 minutes, or even +/- 1 minute? How well did you do? How
did you measure your wall's declination?

Second, have there been any studies of how well dial users compensate
for a penumbra - by which I mean gathering data from volunteers,
studying the spread of errors in time readings taken from a dial versus
a reference time source? (without employing a shadow sharpener)

Thanks,

Steve