Or the slot near one end of the adelaide is just to guide the adelaide as
it slides back and forth in the internal geared mechanism.
Clearly a vertical gnomon had to be present on some part of the adelaide.
I think Steve is on the right track.
In terms of the screws or pins blocking movement of the adelaide, I think
the whole center section (curcular brass plates) pivots along with the
adelaide, so that is moot.

-Bill again.