Hi,

For a little project I did today, I needed the day's solar declination for the start, one third gone, and two-thirds gone, of each zodiacal month (i.e. approximately the 1st, 11th and 21st days of the zodiacal months).

I treated each of the required dates as a multiple of 10 degrees of ecliptic longitude, took the sine and multiplied it by 23.44 (for solstitial solar declination). At first glance, the calculation seems to have produced results that are adequate for my purposes, but I've got a suspicion that it's not quite right (because Earth's orbit is an ellipse, velocity varies, etc.)

My questions: How good or bad was my approximation? Is there a better approximation/empirical formula, short of doing a complex calculation?

Cheers,

Steve