I'm attempting to measure the declination of a wall using a method
described on this web page of The Sundial Primer
https://www.mysundial.ca/tsp/wall_declination.html (also described in
"Sundials: Their Theory and Construction" by Albert E Waugh Chapter 10).

Referring to Figure 1 of The Sundial Primer reference, "The direction of
the sun relative to the wall, θ, can be determined as follows: θ = arctan(
AB / Nail Length)°" If I label the ends of the nail with points C and D
(see figure below) then the formula can be understood as θ = arctan( AB /
CD )°

[image: Figure1Modified.jpg]

With my very rudimentary understanding of basic trigonometry, I understand
how the formula would work for a simple right triangle existing in a single
plane, but not how it works here. It seems to me that AB lies in an XY
plane parallel to the wall, but CD lies along the Z axis, perpendicular to
the XY plane. The shape described by ABCD is a sort of twisted rectangle
and I don't understand how the formula applies.

I'm almost certainly thinking about this wrong (it feels like an optical
illusion where I can only see the vase and not the faces).

[image: image.png]

If anyone can help me "see the light" I would appreciate it.

Jeff Brewer