Ivar Janmaat <ijanmaat <at> xs4all.nl> writes:

> Hello Sun folks,
>
> Can anyone give me some specs on power and voltage requirements of the
> Sun Ray systems?
> I have been traveling around Europe with a Gobi 8 with roaming hsdpa.
> Works great, but not yet on every camping (rural area) in France though
> .
>
> I am now thinking of installing a permanent Sun Ray and hsdpa router on
> my boat.
> The Gobi 8 however uses 20 Volts as input so it is less compatible with
> the power available on my boat.
> My boat has a 12 Volts power system which is always available.  The
> Sunray 2 generation, including the 270 has 12 Volts specified as input
> Voltage. Can I connect a Sun Ray 270 or  Sun Ray 2 directly to my 12
> Volt batteries?
> Batteries get charged and are used so Voltage will fluctuate between 11
> Volts and 14,5 Volts.
> Will this be a problem for the Sun Ray? What is the exact Voltage range
> the Sun Rays  can handle?
> I am looking for a solution with minimal power loss.

Hi Ivar,

I think I have a very simple solution for you. If you go to pretty much any
electronics store, you can pickup a DC power inverter. The inverter is designed
 typically to plug into the 12v cigarette lighter socket, but many of them can
be hard wired to a bettery as well.

I keep an inverter in my car so that I can keep my Gobi charged up on the road.
 Also, the inverter will give you one or two standard outlets which will give
you much more flexibility for plugging other things in - instead of hardwiring a
specific power brick to your batteries.

I cannot speak for this site's reputation, but you can find a wide selection of
inverters at: http://www.invertersrus.com

Good luck!
Bob