I have a new Ubuntu 10.10 installation that is running the latest patches from
Oracle. However, I have an interesting problem. We rebuilt the kernel so that I
could use the ALSA drivers and get sound using pulseaudio. However, we have an
interesting problem. Upon session creation, we have a script in
/etc/X11/Xsession.d that replaces the current default.pa file with one that
uses the current $UTAUDIODEV as the sound device. This works fine, until a user
tries to log in from a different SunRay. When this login happens the user
creates a new
default.pa file with a different audio device. The first session then goes into
an infinite loop trying to start pulseaudio. In return, there is a daemon
polkitd that has a memory leak and consumes all available RAM.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to prevent this?

Thanks,

Matthew
Matthew C. Aycock
Operating Systems Analyst/Developer, Lead
Dept Math/CS
Emory University, Atlanta, GA
Internet:  m...@mathcs.emory.edu