Hi Thomas,

Apologies for the length of this.

Twitter Answer: Your MH DTU order is wrong & you're missing uttsc args in your kiosk script.

Verbose Answer:

I see one issue with your setup and three possible points of clarification (and perhaps better doc on our end)

Issue: Wrong DTU order in MH group
----------------------------------

Regardless of layout, multihead groups default to a reversed S pattern (e.g. Ƨ ), where you start at the top left, proceed to the right, drop down one row, proceed to the left, drop down one row, proceed to the right, etc.

This is where the order of the DTUs (the -l option to utmhadm) matters.

You told utmhadm that 00212890486d was your primary (meaning that's where your keyboard and mouse are connected) via the -p option, but the order in which you entered the list of DTUs told utmhadm that 0021289048f9 is in the top left position. The output of utmhadm lists the DTUs in their order starting from the top left and proceeding over to the Right or down from there.

You can fix this by either recreating the MH group in the proper order with the primary being the first in the list of DTUs (e.g. -p 00212890486d -l 00212890486d,0021289048f9) or use utxconfig on your token to flip the screen order, so that screen 1 (which is on your primary and currently listed on the bottom) moves to the top. That's done via utxconfig -R 1x2 -S 1,0 for your token.

Clarification Point 1:
---------------------
VDI contains a utility called vda-screens. This utility uses xrandr to query the outputs (i.e. the DVI connectors) on a 3+ to see what's in use, get the resolution, etc. This information is parsed to carve up the single X11 screen into X11 geometric areas that match the connected monitors. (See Refresher on X11 with Sun Rays below)

So in the case of a single 3+ with two 24" monitors attached running @ 1920x1080, X11 tools like xwininfo or xdpyinfo will see one X11 screen running @ 3840x1080, xrandr looks closer at the outputs and carves that up geometric areas of of 1920x1080+0+0 and 1920x1080+1920+0

These geometries are stored as session variables ($VDA_GEOMETRY) and under VDI are passed to uttsc via the -g argument (and in some cases combined with the -x argument) for running what is called "multidesktop". In the case of a 1x2 MH group of Sun Ray 3+ units with Xinerama enabled, even though there are only two screens, you can concurrently show four *different* desktop sessions, one in each geometric area. Note: This requires four instances of uttsc, none of which are running in fullscreen mode. e.g. for your 1x2 MH group (If you fix the above ordering issue), you'd see:

Top L Monitor:  uttsc ... -g 1920x1080+0+0 -x $DISPLAY.0 hostname
Top R Monitor:  uttsc ... -g 1920x1080+1920+0 -x $DISPLAY.0 hostname
Bottom L Monitor:  uttsc ... -g 1920x1080+0+0 -x $DISPLAY.1 hostname
Bottom R Monitor:  uttsc ... -g 1920x1080+1920+0 -x $DISPLAY.1 hostname

Clarification Point 2:
---------------------
In the case of uttsc being ran in fullscreen mode (-m), uttsc does it's own investigation/monitor enumeration using either the Xinerama extension (default), xrandr, or turning it off . This can be controlled by -X option, and in the case of a 3+ with both DVI outputs being used, you want to override the default and specify -X xrandr as a uttsc arg. I this case, a single uttsc instance tells the Windows RDP server (Win7/8 Enterprise, Win2008 R2 only) that there are two monitors with certain geometric areas and to carve the RDP session up accordingly.

Clarification Point 3:
---------------------
This I need to double check this part and get back to you. I (may wrongly) believe that an X application cannot span X11 screens. I do know that you cannot move active X11 applications between X11 screens, unless it's been written with GTK+ extensions to do so. For a demo of what I'm referring to, find gtk-demo on your system and run it, then click on the Change Display demo).

I believe the ability have an application display/move/drag across (normally disparate) X11 screens *is* the whole point of using Xinerama.

I don't think it's possible have a single uttsc instance use all four monitors, since each pair is being driven by disparate x11 screens (non-Xinerama mode). Note that VBOX vRDP can do if four virtual monitors that are configured. Although it is not using a single instance of uttsc. This is accomplished by launching four uttsc instances, each of which are provided their own geometry, X11 screen, and, of course, which virtual monitor monitor to connect to as part of the domain argument (e.g. @1 @2 @3 @4)

Our documentation covers a MH group of 2FS/3+ units, but only in the case of Xinerama, where, as you noted, it will be one big monitor.

I have the same setup as you (albeit, with the correct DTU order), so I will test and respond back to the list. I don't recall ever overriding the default monitor enumeration, but then again, I've never had the desire to have all four monitors displaying the same session, unless of course I was using Xinerama. I will test and get back shortly.

Perhaps I'm wrong and just by overriding the default monitor enumeration by adding -X xrandr to the single uttsc instance will allow the use of all four monitors, even if two disparate screens are in use. Time to test!

Refresher on X11 with Sun Ray:
------------------------------
BTW, No offense intended by providing this, just trying to make the above clear in case I confused anyone, or any one wanted a better understanding of what's going on.

For a X session you have one display. A display is like the immortals in Highlander, there can be only one. :) This is the first part of the $DISPLAY variable after the colon, before period.

A display is comprised of screens. You always have at least one screen, but you can have multiple. Screens are listed after the period in the $DISPLAY variable.

Screens are displayed via outputs, in the case of a 3 Plus each DTU has a DVI0 (Top DVI Port) and DVI1 (Bottom DVI port)

Outputs connect to monitors.

In the case of a single Sun Ray 3+, you have:

1 Display
1 Screen
1 or 2 outputs
1 or 2 monitors
Note: Even with two monitors connected, it's still just a single X11 screen.

In the case of 1x2 MH group of two Sun Ray 3+ units with Xinerama disabled, you have:
1 Display
2 screens
2 or 4 outputs
2 or 4 monitors

In the case of 1x2 MH group of two Sun Ray 3+ units with Xinerama enabled, you have:
1 Screen
2 or 4 physical outputs, but only one logical output to the Xserver
2 or 4 monitors, but only one logical monitor to the xserver
Note: The notion of outputs and monitors comes from xrandr, which is not compatible with Xinerama.