> The question I would ask is whether on-demand IPv4 makes sense. To my
> way of thinking, it amounts to deploying a new kind of network. We are
> asking people to deploy IPv6 in their IPv4 networks, or to deploy IPv6-only
> networks. That requires some portion of the money and time they have
> available for such issues. Deploying an IPv4-on-demand network is another
> thing competing for those same resources - it doesn't create new resources
> or reduce the matters pertaining to IPv6 deployment - it creates another
> demand for the same resources. I don't see the point.
>
> I suspect that the network actually routes IPv4 no matter what; what is being
> handed out on demand is an IPv4 address to an edge device. Hosts right now
> get IPv4 (and IPv6) addresses when they don't need them so they can use
> them when they do. They would need a different mode of operation,
> perhaps triggered by the resolver noticing that an application wants to access
> some name and the name only has an A record. In that mode of operation,
> the host only asks for (DHCP) an IPv4 address when it needs it, and routing in
> the network is to the granted address for the lifetime of the address.
>
> Do I believe we can describe and solve that? Yes. Do I think we can do it more
> cheaply and simply than moving folks and their applications to IPv6, and
> convince operators to change their operational practices accordingly? Not
> even close. I think it is a diversion from IPv6 deployment.

I think "on-demand IPv4" would be rather easy with PPPoE. Many (telco) ISPs are
still using PPPoE, and there's still a lot of equipment and routers that
support it. The costliest part of PPPoE was help desk calls for people who
forgot their login/password. ISP-managed CE routers (that do PPPoE) have mostly
evolved to have this auto-configured by the ISP. But not retail CE routers.

In the early days of the Internet, before the need for persistent IPv4
connectivity --  by applications using keep-alives or autonomously and
frequently checking in with some server -- was prevalent, many ISPs that used
PPPoE supplied CE routers that timed out the PPPoE connection (usually after
about 20 minutes of no WAN-bound IPv4 traffic). They also over-subscribed their
IPv4 address space. The delay in establishing the PPPoE connection on-demand
(when a WAN-bound IPv4 packet came from the LAN) was small; and in the context
of sunsetting IPv4, such a delay would probably be quite acceptable. Chatty
applications put an end to IPv4 address over-subscription and PPPoE connections
that timed out.

So I think an on-demand solution already exists (complete with aging equipment,
code, and operational knowledge). For those who want it.
Of course, no on-demand solution will work as long as there are still a lot of
IPv4-only autonomously chatty apps.
Disclaimer: Please don't take this email as a statement that I'm recommending
this, or that my employer has any such plans, or that I have emotional
attachment to this idea, or that I have some sort of agenda regarding this. I'm
providing this purely as technical information, in case people weren't aware of
it.
Barbara