> First of all, I agree with those who have said this should be
> a BCP, if published. BCPs are the way we publish IETF process
> rules.
A BCP with the right tone and focus might be useful.

> Secondly, I think many of the comments about the tone and slant
> are correct. What we want to stop is work on solutions that
> are *specific* to IPv4, and to chase down and elminate any
> cases where successful IPv6 operation depends on the presence
> of IPv4.

I disagree.

We need to consider IPv4 work as "maintenance mode", which can easily
include solo IPv4 adjustments and/or include IPv4 support in new
protocols that also support IPv6. Neither necessarily need involve
transition or deprecation.

"no new work" or "no IPv4-specific work" both assume that IPv6 is a
superset of IPv4, which it is not. We're still wrangling with aspects of
IPv6 that actually are evolving back into IPv4-like approaches, e.g.,
limits to the length of the header chain and problems supporting
fragment traversal of routers.

Joe