Le 16/05/2018 à 14:31, Michael Richardson a écrit :
[...]
Terry Manderson <terry.mander...@icann.org> wrote:
     > That is a fair request.

     > I’m not sure the MIF example applies completely as the situations were
     > different, however I’ll take on board the desire for AD guidance when
     > it comes to work.

     > I appreciate the desire to have a ‘home’ for discussions. How about
     > this. I’ll close the WG, but leave the sunset4 mailing list open at
     > least until March next year. I’m sure that the volume of discussion up

I'm okay with this.
My impression is that sunset4 tried hard, but failed to get consensus.
That's not a failure to get work done --- not getting consensus usually
takes longer than a trivial consensus.

My take is that sunset4 was sligthly premature;

My take is that sunset is a great name.

I would have loved to learn in this group a few things:
- is there a process in place that gives back to IANA the unused IPv4
  space.  How much is this process used?
- why new technologies and sites get invented yet IPv6 is not on them
  (deployed IoT w/ IPv4, self-driving cars w/ IPv4, new big office
  buildings w/ IPv4, and so on).
- in 5G why there is no GTP replacement using QUIC instead of UDP and
  IPv6 instead of IPv4.

And, my last question, my most preferred, which I know is polarizing, soo feel free to ignore: why does not IETF put exclusive content on IPv6? Generally speaking I have never heard of some highly interesting content that is available on IPv6. When that happens immediately somebody puts in on IPv4 too.

Or maybe it's just a matter of time, and things are moving slower than one's expectations.

operators aren't ready do to
this.  Yes, there are **now** data centers where IPv4 is going away

Yes I learned that recently and it was news to me.

, but
those DC also are almost always closed proprietary environments (even if the
components are open source, I can't buy a cabinet in that space, and they
don't run off-the-shelf OS builds).

It seems though they can be accessed on the Internet, right? I mean such a data center can be accessed freely on IPv6, and for a fee put content there. That content would not be available on IPv4.

I think the next step would be to have free upload capability (like drive.google but w/o IPv4).

I think that we wanted to be premature, such that we could get OS vendors
to test having no IPv4 *now*, and not discover things are broken ten years
later when the equipement can't be replaced.  We actually spured a few OS
vendors (FreeBSD, Linux, others) to try the test... many discovered
"127.0.0.1" hard code in many places.

In the end, the problem is that funded OS vendors at the IETF has been
"reduced" to Apple and Google, neither of which is in the desktop market
it seems... While MS is clearly still here, funded Linux OS/networking people
are not at IETF (Wouters excepted!).

So sunset4 did as much work as it could without broad OS vendor consensus.
I believe that the situation will change once more operators begin to
attempt to really turn off IPv4 in a non-3G space.

Please keep the list alive.

I agree.

And make new inspiring stickers :-)

Alex