Excerpts from Andrew Pimlott's message of Mon Sep 07 13:04:50 -0400 2009:

> I am running on a fairly low-memory virtual machine.  I think some of
> the variability in what I was seeing before had to do with what
> other

I'm running sup on real hardware w/1GB physical ram.

> things were running.  Sorry about not being aware of this before.  In
> the following, I have pretty well controlled for other system memory
> use.  All of these tests are done on the same mbox with all indices
> cleared.
>
> Some of the failures I see are out of memory when running gpg
> ("Errno::ENOMEM Exception: Cannot allocate memory - /usr/bin/gpg" ...).
> I stopped at that point in the debugger and found that at this point,
> the ruby backtick operator fails the same way on any command.  Using
> strace, I saw a failure in clone:

I found sup crashed this morning too with an ENOMEM on a gpg
operation.  I thought I may actually have been at the memory
exhaustion point normally though as I run screen and tend to leave
lots of sessions going all the time.

> Using the xapian index, things are different.  It starts at 32M and
> steadily climbs to 77M after ~3500 messages, or around 1M every 100
> messages.  It does seem to climb faster at first and then more
> slowly.

I've never paid attention to this before, but currently, my sup
process (running for about 6 hours now) looks like it's using ~77M
virtual with 59 of that resident.

This has only happened to me once, but since you reported it, I
thought I'd chime in with some extra data.

HTH.
-Ben
--
Ben Walton
Systems Programmer - CHASS

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.