Hello from a new lister,

I need some S900 advice.

S900 (2 gig HD) running 7.6.1 using ProTools 4 with 18 gig external SCSI HD (going south). The computer is used to edit sound files. The set-up is working splendidly.

A situation has come up where MP3 conversion is needed. ProTools 4 can convert to AIFF files, but not MP3s.

So what to do?

First, the ailing hard drive that is indispensable for the sound files:
Should the external be replaced with an internal SCSI (18gig 68-pin for $20 + $7 shipping + internal cable if needed)? Is that an easy task? What kind of cable change will be needed?

Someone had a 10k rpm 18 gig 80-pin hard drive for $25.  Is that better?

Second, the software change:
DigiDesign has a free version 5 which will convert to MP3s but runs only on OS 8.6 - 9.2.2 or X.

Audacity will only run on OS 9 and up.

Is OS 8.6 a good and stable system? Any quirks in installing that on an S900? Any ideas where to purchase 8.6? I have a legal CD of 8.0.

Should OS 9.2 be used instead?

Or would it make more sense to move to OS X? If so which machine has the audio ins and outs for sound recording?

Whew -- formidable for my first inquiry, eh!

Looking forward with gratefulness to any and all suggestions,

Jane