At 17:12 -0800 11/20/2005, Will S wrote:

For the record Powerlogix also made a carrier card but not as adjustable for fine
 tuning and the cards seem weaker in a number of ways. I think Jeff  W may of
 played with one  fairly recently. best of luck Will S

I recently played with a PowerLogix ZIF card and a couple of XLR8 ZIF carrier cards. I didn't use anything faster than a 466 MHz G3 ZIF with them and it's a Rev. 2.x G3 chip so it only supports up to 8X multipliers. You need a Rev. 3.x G3 chip to get the 10X multiplier.

I only had one example of the PowerLogix carrier and that came out of a bin at Goodwill, so it may not be representative. I found it difficult to get any stable configuration above 50 MHz using the PL card. It is also, as Will mentioned, less adjustable. It has all the bus multiplier settings, but the bus speed settings come in increments of 2.5MHz and from 55 - 60 it's a 5 MHz jump, there is no 57.5 MHz setting. IIRC, Mike at XLR8yourmac.com was able to use his PowerLogix carrier at up to 60 MHz.

Looking at the power supply circuitry on the PowerLogix, it looks much less robust and probably less capable of delivering stable power than the PS circuitry on the other cards. There is the equivalent of a Beige G3's VRM on each Carrier card, but the PL card seems lacking in capacitors which smooth power to a more constant level. IIRC, the NewerTech actually uses a plug-in VRM for that part of their circuitry. At least a prerelease model that was reviewed did.

I have three of the XLR8 cards. They all behaved about the same for me, which means that none of them were stable beyond about 53 MHz bus speed. I'm running at 51.6 for a little margin. This was a little disappointing to me, as I've run this S900 motherboard at 60 MHz and a little beyond using a PowerLogix PowerBoost Pro 604e card. I was frankly surprised because of Will's better experiences, and I think that Mike at XLR8yourmac.com was able to run his XLR8 card at up to 55 MHz. Because I only have an 8X multiplier available, I'm running this 466 MHz ZIF at 413 MHz.

I have not tested this motherboard with the PowerBoost Pro card in at least a year. Perhaps there's been some wear to my CPU socket. The motherboard is mounted vertically in a tower case and there's no support for the top edge of the CPU card, so the leaning could be affecting the socket. Or it could just be that some batch of XLR8 cards just aren't as fast as others. I tried this with a couple of different ZIF cards, but that really shouldn't be a factor, since they run at 66 MHz or better in Beige G3s.

Anyway, the other thing I found about the XLR8 card is that there are a ton of undocumented bus speed settings. In general, the ones in the chart they provide should be sufficient, but the card is adjustable in something like .2 or .3 MHz increments from about 25 MHz up to 75 or beyond.

Ah, here's the text of a message I sent to Mike, which he never used, AFAIK:

The XLR8 instructions list integer and integer + .6 MHz bus speeds. However, it appears that the Carrier ZIF is settable in .2 MHz increments.

Switches 1 - 4 control the fine speed settings. If you imagine them as the digits of a binary number, with 1 most significant and 4 least significant, you can set any bus speed multiple of .2 MHz from 0 to 3 MHz (15 X .2) + the coarse speed setting.

So for example OFF, OFF, OFF, OFF (all OFF) is 0 X .2 = 0 MHz plus the coarse speed setting (switches 5 - 8).

OFF, ON, OFF, ON (2,4 ON) = 0101 binary = 3 decimal. 3 X .2 = .6 MHz plus the coarse speed setting.

ON, OFF, OFF, ON (1,4 ON) = 1001 = 9 => 1.8 MHz + Coarse Setting.

Etc.

The coarse speed settings (switches 5 - 8) seem to be in 3.2 MHz increments.

OFF, ON, OFF, ON (6, 8 on) = 41              0101
OFF, ON, ON, OFF (6, 7 on) = 44.2            0110
OFF, ON, ON, ON (6,7,8 on) = 47.4            0111
ON, OFF, OFF, OFF (5 on) = 50.6             1000

etc.

That's the gist.  The stuff below is examples that drag on for a bit.

In equation form:  25 + 3.2 * (5 - 8) + .2 * (1 - 4) = bus speed;
where (5 - 8) and (1 - 4) are four digit binary numbers represented by the corresponding switches, where a switch set to 'ON' is a 1 and a switch set to 'OFF' is a 0.

So, for example, if you wanted 54.8 you solve the above equation (or read the XLR8 table and adjust your switches up or down a couple of binary values). 54.8 - 25 = 29.8. 29.8 / 3.2 = 9 + a remainder so set switches(5 - 8) to 9. This is 1001 or switches 5 & 8 ON. That's our coarse setting. 25 + 3.2 * 9 = 53.8 so we still have 1 MHz to go. 1 / .2 = 5 so switches (1 - 4) need to be set to 5 or 0101 which is 2 & 4 ON.

So 2, 4, 5, 8 should yield 54.8 MHz. Filling in the equation above just to expand the example we have 25 + 3.2 * (1001) + .2 * (0101) =
25 + 3.2 * (9) + .2 * (5) = 25 + 28.8 + 1 =
54.8.

One could more easily arrive at this conclusion by noting that 54.6 on the XLR8 table is switches 2,5,8. Adding 1 to the value of the fine settings simply means turning switch 4 on, so 2,5,8 => 54.6 and 2,4,5,8 => 54.6 + .2 = 54.8 MHz.

I imagine that speeds below 40 and above 66 are accessible and predictable using this system, though not very useful. :-)

Jeff Walther