How cool Robert Taylor....I still have my Ex-Bro in Law's old Umax C500 and little Magnavox color monitor...I believe it cost his parents around $1800.00 Ultra fast Seagate SCSI 3 hard drive and card , Yamaha CD Burner ,144mb Ram, 28omhz G3 Mactell Zif , Digidesign Audiomedia III card and OS 9.1...I'm STILL recording great 24 bit 48khz digital audio files on it. I also obtained an old Powermac 6400...the C500's Apple daddy.....WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!!! My C500 blew it away and still rocks!!! i said goodbye to the 6400 lonnnnnnng ago. I find no need yet to even buy a new Mac....It still does what it does!

In '92, for $3000, I purchased a Centris 650, 15' color monitor, and a Laserwriter NTR. Through upgrades, the Centris is a effectively a 6100 and runs Firefox as a Browser and Office 98. It sits in my classroom and the kids like using it because it is almost as old as they are. In three years, I expect that it will still be in my classroom doing regular service. For laughs the desktop picture is a photo of Eniac. The Laserwriter is hooked up to my G3 and J700 through ethernet. Not a shabby return for 3 grand. The 386s that were out then are just junk or long since been consigned to a landfill. As for the Intel macs, hardware is hardware. I remember the 65C02 in the Apple II's (which my Centris replaced). With 1 MB of RAM, my II outperformed the 386's in the lab I was in. As for Mac, the real edge is Mac OS. But, I think Apple will still keep the G5's in the high end machines.