At 17:07 -0500 12/12/2005, Alan Roberts wrote:
On Dec 12, 2005, at 2:09 PM, Jeff Walther wrote:

 If the other excellent suggestions you have received do not solve the
 problem, it may be that your power supply has expired from old age.

 Jeff Walther

Very good point. That's probably the simplest thing to test as well. Turn the
 computer on and listen for the fans. If you're getting any power those will
 always come on, even if nothing else works. If no fans, not even the power
supply's internal fan comes on then power supply is dead; if the fans do start
 running, then go ahead and check everything else.

While non-running fans does mean that the PS is bad, unfortunately running fans do not mean that a power supply is good. It means that some voltage is appearing on the 12V supply lines. If the hard drives are spinning up then the 12V supply is somewhere in the neighborhood of 12V, but that still doesn't mean that the power supply is good. The 5V and/or 3.3V lines can be bad even if the 12V is more or less working. The motherboard and CPU card will not start up correctly without good 5V and 3.3V, so spinning fans and hard drives with no start up chime is a possible symptom of a bad power supply.

As far as I can tell, a PPC604/150 (no 'E') card will start up an S900 even if the 3.3V is bad or missing. At least it will chime. It really shouldn't output video as the PCI bus clock generator runs on 3.3V, but I think I've seen video without 3.3V connected. so a bit of weirdness no one is ever likely to care about. :-)

Anyway, if one has a really old CPU card (150 MHz or slower) and the machine starts up with that, then the 5V is probably good, but the 3.3V could still be bad.

BTW, if anyone is throwing away a bad PS, I would appreciate the favor of snipping off the leads and mailing them to me. I would, of course, pay postage. With the leads off of bad PSs I can build ATX to S900 adapters fairly cheaply.

Jeff Walther