Thanks Paul,

I had done exactly as you suggested to establish the back up drive (#2) as
the start up drive and get the computer up and running.  I verified the HD
(#1) containing the Corrupted OS 9.1 using HDT's Disk First Aid which showed
no problem with the drive.  So, apparently the corruption is in the OS on
that drive.

I could copy the contents of #1 HD to the currently unused #3 as a current
back up of the good data on #1, before playing with its corrupted OS.  Can I
just overwrite, or delete and replace the full OS easily on that drive?

Thanks,

Bernie