On 04/06/2015 22:41, Jameson Graef Rollins wrote:
What I would like is to somehow stagger the startup of the processes, to
avoid the resource contention.  I could do this by putting a random
sleep into the ./run scripts, but this would also cause random startup
delays on subsequent process restarts via "sv restart" or the like
(which we occasionally need to do).

 You could also have an "initial" ./run that would sleep a random amount
of time, then atomically replace itself with the "normal" run script before
executing itself.
 Of course, it requires read-write service directories. This is one of
the reasons why I generally advocate keeping the working copy of
service directories in a tmpfs.

--
 Laurent