On 29/09/2015 16:28, Casper Ti. Vector wrote:
as a mechanism, the online virtual is demanding to implement
in an RC system, but might be even much more difficult to implement
elsewhere.  More than that, this mechanism fits naturally into an RC
system, so it is architecturally a reasonable part of s6-rc.

 On a theoretical level, I tend to agree; and I will definitely
think about handling virtual services in s6-rc if a real-world case
happens.
 The main reason why I didn't do it is that it increases complexity
of the dependency engine *considerably*; and in practice, as long
as your online set of virtual dependencies isn't too high, it's still
simpler (in terms of code maintainability) to keep a set of compiled
databases around and switch them with s6-rc-update.
 I agree that it defers some of the burden to the user, a burden that
should be handled by s6-rc itself. I could work on some scripts to
automate that kind of database management, if you think it would be
useful.

say that your way of `eth0'/`wlan0' switching is a choice of policy,
which does not make up for the incompleteness in the set of mechanism
provided by s6-rc.

 I think you're right in principle; I just compromised here in the name
of practicality. It's definitely a possibility of evolution for s6-rc
if it becomes a real issue.

--
 Laurent