However, I was not aware that kbrequest needed a special ioctl call
before it can be accepted, so thank you for that; I'll add the call
to s6-l-i.

 Scratch that. s6 never uses /dev/console as input: s6-l-i redirects
stdin to /dev/null. (This is intentional, and is not changing.)
So there is no fd to call the ioctl on, and no way for a user to trigger
a kbrequest. A minor inconvenience compared to the advantages of not
having any /dev/console input.

 CAD still works because it's treated as a special event by the kernel,
not something that's tied to a fd receiving input.

--
 Laurent